Friday, July 17, 2015

2002, MAY, BOSTON, MOUTH STUFFED BY AMERICAN FLAGS


BOSTON HARBOR INTERNATIONAL ART EXCHANGE PROGRAM BETWEEN MOBIUS AND ARTISTS FROM ZADAR (CROATIA) OUTDOOR PERFORMANCE "FEED ME (FIRST AMENDMENT)"

FILM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHHWUlE43f0

A long (endless) strip of American flags ran from bridge railings directly to my mouth. While my mouth was stuffed to the maximum by the other end of this colorful fabric, I gave a lecture about freedom of speech and its irreplaceable importance in the healthy life of a democratic society under any circumstances. I used a powerful speaker and a hidden wireless microphone, but my voice was distorted by the stuffing to the degree that walkers passing on the bridge could hear just my murmuring. As an accompanying audio track I used an endless repetition of a sampled announcement of Coordinated Universal Time - a reminder that nothing lasts forever.